Recipe Search

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Can Cupcakes be Haunted? Naaa...

Terrific Trio of Terrifying Treats!

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love the spooks, the sweets, and the season all together. This Halloween I made cupcakes for a friend. The order: 30 vanilla cupcake for a parents Halloween party. Kids like candy, kids like cupcakes so I put them together. I also got some great ideas from Martha Stewart's website to suite the parents as well.

I have to be honest, I tried the witch cupcakes. I cut the tops off sugar cones and dipped them in chocolate, made green buttercream frosting and with an assortment of candies for topping I made an assembly line for easy decorating. I actually spent a lot of time on this idea to find out that I made the wrong kind of frosting to hold that weight of decorations. The frosting was too smooth and light to hold up the candies. So if you are going to make witch cupcake next year I recommend using a very thick frosting that doesn't get soft. Be careful, your witch can closely resemble an owl which wouldn't be a bad idea for Thanksgiving.

I went with the Ghooley Ghost, Fun Frankenstein and Black Widows Web. These were all really fun to make. I used a standard Vanilla Cupcake recipe with a buttercream frosting. A few tips: I used electric green food coloring for the frosting so it didn't resemble a Christmas green. I recommend making some of the details with a fine piping bag and black frosting and to experiment with different candies. No matter what the recipe calls for, a little bit of black licorice goes a long way. The critique: The kids voted for the Fun Frankenstein and the candy cups probably because he had the most candy on top. As my favorite animated orange cat would say, "Candy, candy, candy candy!"


Fun Frankenstein:
Electric Green buttercream frosting, sour straws for mouth, caramel candy corns
as bolts, Halloween M&Ms for eyes and black licorice for stitches and nose.



Ghooley Ghost:
Buttercream frosting piped on with an Ateco 809 for height,
black Halloween M&Ms for eyes, black icing applied with small
piping bag for mouth and black licorice for brow.



Black Widows Web:
Electric Green buttercream frosting with black frosting piped on and
pulled with a toothpick and black licorice or red vines for spider legs.


To package them I used black tissue paper and put the cupcakes in a standard cupcake holder. For a friend that's fine, normally I would use my Mixing Bowl stamp and boxes. As a special touch I placed cupcake liners of assorted Halloween candy in between the cupcakes to keep them from bumping into each other. An overall success.


No comments:

Post a Comment