Recipe Search

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Flight of Dark Chocolate Beer Cupcakes


We all like a little variety and when it comes to food and beverage I like small plates. I like to taste many things and compare and contrast. My beer cupcakes last weekend were inspired by two things.
First, the Winter Brew Festival at Linden Street Brewery in late January. The festival was great. They showcased many beers, all of my local favorites and a lot of medal winners. We started at the dark beer section and made our way to the home brews. 

Second, the concept of ordering a "flight" or sampler when going out. You can usually find me ordering from the starter menu and trying a few different wines. I am totally fine having those two concepts marry which is the subject/experiment for this update - A Flight of Dark Chocolate Beer Cupcakes!

Beer #1: Alaska Brewing Company, 2009 Smoked Porter
Beer #2: Anchor Steam Brewery, Porter
Beer #3: Lagunitas, Cappuccino Stout
Beer #4: New Belgium, 1554 Black Ale
Beer #5: Marin Brewing Company, Blueberry Ale

I tried two differed recipes with four different beers and here were my results. 

My favorites were Lagunitas Cap Stout (very pleasing dark flavor with hints of espresso) and New Belgium black Ale (mild, darker beer with sweet notes) mostly because of the recipe used. The recipe called for chocolate that was melted and worked into the wet ingredients. I also folded the egg whites into the ingredients at the end before piping into the cake pan. The cake was moist and had hints of espresso. It went very well with the chocolate ganache frosting glazed on top.


Lagunitas Chocolate Cupcake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting


 
New Belgium 1554 Black Ale small cakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
The Anchor Steam (deep, creamy and smooth with slight coffee flavor) and Alaska Porter (strong smoked flavor, full and dark, very mild after taste) cakes had great flavor but the recipe made a crumbly cake. It also called for cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate which I do not prefer. The beer was delicious and went really well with the salted caramel buttercream frosting piped on top.

 Anchor Steam Porter Chocolate Cupcake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting


Alaska 2009 Smoked Porter Jumbo Cupcake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
And last but not least...Marin Blueberry Ale (lighter ale with a strong blueberry essence). This would make a great vanilla beer cupcake. Unfortunately, the beer was too light for the chocolaty goodness I was going for

Overall, once you find a dark, robust beer, whether it be smoked or espresso flavored, I don't think you can go wrong. Next would be finding the perfect cake recipe to compliment the beer :) and I think I found mine. Tips: Try melted chocolate instead cocoa powder and folding in the egg whites at the end as it does help make for a fluffy cake. 


Flight of Dark Chocolate Beer Cupcakes ready for delivery!
 
Bake on,
Sarah

2 comments: